Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Oliver!

I have a three year old.

We have just finished up about five days of celebration, and I can now officially say that Oliver is spoiled rotten! And this mommy is exhausted! But we had lots of fun, which I'll share with you over the next few days. But since his actual birthday was yesterday, the 5th, I'll start with a little recap of his birthday party.

We didn't plan anything big. My Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Terry decided to come for a visit, and we had a fun, busy weekend. So we decided to just have pizza and cake at our apartment, and invite his best friend Annabelle and her parents over. I'm glad it was so small. I cannot imagine having a room full of toddlers. Two was plenty!
 

 Oliver showing Annabelle all his balloons. She got to take home the green star.

 And the fighting begins. Oliver and Annabelle love each other a lot. Like siblings. And so they fight like siblings. No, he is not hitting her with a right hook here, just "sharing" his balloons.

Fighting over a toy. Somebody had it first. Somebody else wanted it because the first one had it. Lather, rinse, repeat. Reverse, and start it all over again. But notice they are smiling!

 Aunt Bonnie gave Oliver this bear that sang Happy Birthday. 

 Which he "hid" from whenever it sang. 

 He'd hid his head in his arms, and peek out when it stopped singing, only to hide again when it started back up. It repeats several times. The last time, he put his head down so hard he conked it on the corner of the table, and started to cry.

 And then hugged the bear for comfort.
 The bear he was scared of a minute ago.
You tell me when you can figure out the mind of a three year old!

 Amongst his new toys.

 They both loved his Dr. Seuss books.

 Time for cake!

 Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Oliver, Happy Birthday to you. And many more. 
I'm pretty sure he was singing too.

 Blowing out the candles.

 Applauding himself.

The cake. He told me he wanted lemon cake this year, so I found this recipe for the cake, used this one for the icing, and filled it with store-bought lemon curd in the middle. It was very lemony, and delish! I had big plans for some cute decorations, but we got a late start baking it (and were still frosting it when guests arrived), so we threw on some sprinkles and candied lemon slices and called it festive.

It may not have been fancy, but it was a fun culmination to an exciting weekend. More about that in the next few days, as I get back on the blogging wagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment