Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rotisserie-style Chicken in the Crockpot

Didn't I promise recipes??? Ok, ok...here's one! We had this on Sunday, super easy and good!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, approx. 4 pounds
2 tsp. salt (kosher if you have it)
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning blend
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper

4 aluminum foil balls, approx 1-2" diameter

Place aluminum foil balls in crock pot. Place chicken on balls. Mix together all seasonings, and rub chicken with them. Add no other liquid! Cook 6-8 hours.

I got this recipe from a friend on a message board I frequent. The idea is that the aluminum foil balls keep the chicken out of its juices so it doesn't get so waterlogged and the skin gets somewhat crispy. It doesn't get as crispy as real rotisserie chicken, but it was still very good, and very tender...I cooked ours for almost 8 hours and it collapsed on itself, it was so tender. I think 6 would have been fine, not that I'm complaining.

We had fresh corn on the cob on the side, along with some roasted potatoes. I mixed dry onion soup mix, 1/4 cup (probably less) canola oil, potato wedges, baked in 9 x 13 pan for 35 minutes, stirring once. Also great with dry ranch dressing mix or dry Italian dressing mix! Adjust the amount of oil for the quantity of potatoes, typically 4 average sized ones.

Yes, I realize that potatoes aren't the best on a low carb diet, but if you remember my earlier post, it's all about portion sizes. Since I had corn too, I had a small portion of the potatoes, but lots of chicken! Marty gave it a big thumbs up. Oliver wasn't as impressed, but I think it was more about him being a toddler that day than his true opinion of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment