Friday, June 25, 2010

The Lakes

We've always called it The Lakes. Ever since I was a child, when my grandparents and aunt and uncle bought this cottage, when we talked about it, we always said it that way, as in, "Pack your swimsuit, we're going up to the lakes this weekend!" Technically, the cottage is only on one lake, the beautiful Lake Wawasee, but there are many other lakes in the area, so I guess the plural is used for that reason. Who knows.

Anyway, I love coming to the lakes. I have fond memories of being here with my family every summer as I was growing up, whether it was short weekends or week long vacations. It is just one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. There's so much about it to love. Sitting on a lounge chair on the deck with a cool drink sweating on the table next to you, watching the water and the sky and the boats going by. Reading a good book under the shade of the big oak tree next to the water. Bathing in the lake as kids, with shampoo and soap (of course, now we know that's not so good for the health of the lake, but we were all naive back then). Cooking dinner on the grill every night to keep the kitchen from getting too hot. Or better yet, boating to dinner and then boating back in the dark, stargazing. Hanging out with family, talking and laughing until after the sun sets. Feeling the cool breeze blowing in the curtains in the bedrooms upstairs. There are no Forth of July fireworks better than those seen from a boat in the middle of the lake, or from the end of the pier.  Marty fell in love with the lakes too, shortly after falling in love with me, and we got married here, so you can see some of the setting in the photos I posted a few days ago for our anniversary. We've come back every year since.

We want Oliver to grow up loving the lakes as well, and I think he's off to a great start. He's changed my experience of the lakes, that's for sure. I may not get to sit and read all day, but it's even more rewarding to see him exploring and learning new things, and being silly with happiness because he's having so much fun. I'll be posting lots of photos of our visit in the next weeks, but I thought I'd kick them off with a look back at the great times he's already had here in his little life.

Oliver's first swim in the lake, with Daddy, at 11 weeks old, June 2008

Warming up in the sun after the swim, 11 weeks old, June 2008

Swimming in his turtle raft, 14 months old, June 2009

Warming up in the sun and playing with his bucket, 14 months, June 2009

Swimming with Aunt Bonnie, 26 months, June 2010.

Playing with his bucket, 26 months, June 2010.

My baby is getting to be such a big boy! Next thing I know, he'll be getting married here! ::faint::

No comments:

Post a Comment