Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ham & Bean Soup

I'm posting on the road from my new Netbook! So exciting, but I'll post more about that and our sudden trip to the midwest another time. Tonight, I want to share our yummy dinner! We had gotten a spiral ham for sandwiches last week, so we decided to make Ham and Bean Soup for dinner tonight, one of my long time favorites. Both my grandmothers made great ham and beans, so it's very appropriate that we had it here in Indiana. It's so easy, I don't know why I haven't made it more often. Oh yeah, we never buy a ham. Anyway, here's the recipe. It's basic, or should I say classic, but oh so delicious!

Ham and Bean Soup

1 pkg. 15 bean mix
2 qts. water
1 hambone + 1 cup chopped ham (or whatever you have leftover)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt (I skipped this because the ham was salty enough)
1- 16 oz. can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
1- 10 oz. can tomatoes w/chili peppers (like Rotel)

Wash and soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse beans. Add all ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment